Training and education


You can access training and education to help you further your career and build skills to help you in your job. Many employers will help to support you through your training so you can achieve your goals.

When you start your role in care you will start with an induction and basic training, so you are prepared with the necessary skills for your role. This will include learning more about person centred care, your role and responsibilities. You will also complete the care certificate, safeguarding adults, food safety, manual handling and specialised training depending on your role such as learning more about dementia. There will be lots of opportunites to ask questions and get the support you need throughout your training. 

As you develop your career you will have to opportunity to take NVQ qualifications alongside your role. These will help you do your job and develop your skills if you would like to take on more responsibility and develop your career. 

There are a wide range of courses available through Adult Learning which can help you take your first steps towards a care career or build your skills to be able to progress. 

Build your confidence, get some support with job applications or interview skills so you can land the job you want. Learn more about the courses available to help you take your first steps. 

Don't let a lack of maths or English qualifications hold you back. Friendly tutors will support you to gain the skills and overcome your concerns so you can achieve recognised qualifications to support you as you develop your career. Search for courses to support your English skills and maths skills. 

Worried about IT? It can be daunting to be asked to use technology in your role, but when you take the time to be supported and learn more then it can open the door to possibilities not just at work but in your home life too. Search for courses to support your digital skills.

There are a number of providers for higher level education to develop you career further in Cumbria such as the University of Cumbria and you may be able to study part time alongside your work.